Need help with a non-urgent medical or admin request? Contact us online.

Out of hours / minor injuries

Medical help ‘Out of Hours’

If you require medical help outside of your medical practice’s opening hours, please consider the following options carefully:

Emergency? Call 999

999 should only be used in emergencies, for example when someone’s life is at risk or when someone is seriously ill or critically injured.

Not an emergency, but need medical help fast?

The out-of-hours service at your medical practice will reply to any phone calls between the hours of 6.00pm and 6.30pm Monday to Friday. After 6.30pm you will be asked to ring 111 (a free phone number).

6.30pm–8.00am (Monday–Friday) and 24hours Saturday–Sunday (including bank holidays) – call 111

More information can be found below.

NHS 111

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do.

Get help online or on the phone

To get help from NHS 111, you can:

  • go to (for people aged 5 and over only)
  • call 111

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have difficulties communicating or hearing, you can:

  • call 18001 111 on a textphone
  • use the NHS 111 British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter service if you’re deaf and want to use the phone service

How NHS 111 works

You answer questions about your symptoms on the website, or by speaking to a fully trained adviser on the phone.

You can ask for a translator if you need one.

Depending on the situation you’ll:

  • find out what local service can help you
  • be connected to a nurse, emergency dentist, pharmacist or GP
  • get a face-to-face appointment if you need one
  • be told how to get any medicine you need
  • get self-care advice.

Whitby Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC)

The Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) is based at Whitby Community Hospital. It is open every day 8am until 8pm.

The staff at Whitby UTC are able to help if you have a minor injury or illness that requires urgent attention, but is not life threatening. Please see the list below for guidance on what they can treat. If they cannot treat your injury or illness they will guide you to the most appropriate service.

Minor injuries and illnesses include:

  • strains and sprains
  • suspected broken limbs
  • minor head injuries
  • cuts and grazes
  • bites and stings
  • minor scalds and burns
  • ear and throat infections
  • skin infections and rashes
  • eye problems
  • coughs and colds
  • feverish illness
  • abdominal pain
  • vomiting and diarrhoea

Blood tests and other investigations, such as scans, are not available. The UTC does have x-ray facilities, but is not able to obtain chest, neck, back (spine), or hip x-rays.

Please consult NHS 111, your GP practice, or a local pharmacy for non-urgent advice.

If your problem is life-threatening or an emergency, please call 999 immediately or go straight to your nearest A&E.

Appointments can also be made in our Better Access service, this runs from 18:30-20:00 Monday to Friday & 09:00-17:00 Saturday at Whitby Hospital.

Who does Whitby UTC Treat?

No upper age restriction except new born and infants will be signposted or transferred to nearest paediatric speciality centre based on the triage outcome. No gender restrictions.

Further information

Nearest Accident and Emergency departments outside the MIU opening hours:

Scarborough General Hospital, Woodlands Drive, Scarborough YO12 6QL. Tel: 01723 368111
The James Cook University Hospital, Marton Road, Middlesbrough TS4 3BW. Tel: 01642 850850

Translate »